London has always had a reputation for being an expensive city. But with this post, we will try to destroy that myth based on plans that prove otherwise. Thus, we implore you to keep reading and discover with us the best free things to do in London. Of course, ensure your trip!
- Get cultured in museums.Once you have your cheap flight to London, pack your bags and get ready for a good dose of culture at a laughter price. So hilarious it’s free! Yes, the vast majority of museums in the English capital are free, so be sure to visit one of the more than 200 that you will find.The imposing British Museum is mandatory, where you can find essential pieces of history such as the Rosetta Stone or the Parthenon friezes. You can also find the Tate Modern, the contemporary art museum housed in a former power station, and the National Gallery, where you can see works by Van Gogh, Da Vinci or Jan van Eyck, among other great painters.
- Get to know its best marketsGoing to London and not wandering through its markets would be an actual sin, so prepare your legs to visit some of them known worldwide for their peculiarity and beauty. Knowing its markets is one of the things to do for free in London. However, be careful and hold your purse well because, with the number of beautiful objects you will see, it can be expensive!Wander through Covent Garden, wow on weekends in Camden Town, photograph the antiques and second-hand items on Saturdays at Portobello Road Market (in the famous and cinematic Notting Hill neighbourhood) and stop by one day to eat at a food truck from Borough Market.
- Enjoy the Changing of the Guard show at Buckingham PalaceIn front of the residence of the Queen of England, a free show takes place. The changing of the guards at Buckingham Palace takes place at 11:30 am to the devotion of the hundreds of tourists who come to see it. From May to July, you can see it daily, while the rest of the year, it is done every other day except for rainy days, which is cancelled. Go early because it tends to get to the top and don’t miss one of the best things to do in London for free.
- Visit the English ParliamentThe Palace of Westminster is one of the best-known buildings in London and the world. Its iconic tower, Big Ben, monopolizes all the flashes on both sides of the River Thames. You may not know that one of the best free things to do in London is visiting the building itself from the inside. Declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1987, you can access this Gothic building when the House of Commons is in session. At that moment, you can go up to the public gallery, see the debate and hallucinate with the interior of Parliament in a freeway.
- Stroll through its spectacular parksAlthough London has spectacular buildings, you can also enjoy green areas at the height of its skyscrapers. The capital of England has some lovely parks, eight of which are owned by the British Crown. Walking through them is one of the free things to do in London since they are open to the public. Take note of these names and enjoy stunning natural corners: Regent’s Park, St. James Park and Hyde Park.